I would like to donate to A Veteran’s Best Friend. Is my donation tax deductible?
A Veteran’s Best Friend is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) public charity, and all donations are eligible to be used for tax deductions. AVBF can provide you with a receipt for each donation (monetary, in-kind, or a combination) and each donor is provided with a yearly letter summarizing their contributions. To donate to AVBF, please click here.
Does A Veteran’s Best Friend accept donations of items and services (in-kind donations)?
Absolutely! One of the ways that we are able to keep our costs low and provide Service Dogs and training for free is through donations of items and services that we would otherwise need to purchase. For ideas on what we currently need, please visit our Wish List. If you have further questions or would like to talk to us about an an item or service you would like to provide, please contact us.Amazon Wish List
Can I sponsor a service dog?
We do not accept sponsorships of specific dogs in our program. However, we do accept general sponsorships. These help us cover the costs associated with training and caring for our dogs. Sponsorships are typically $50 per month.
What do your volunteers do?
Our volunteers are essential to our organization! They train dogs, bake treats, take photographs, help at events, provide facility maintenance, and so much more! We are always looking for new volunteers to help our organization grow.
I have a child who is interested in helping A Veteran’s Best Friend. What can they do?
Youth volunteers are a huge asset to AVBF! Youth volunteers can help us with events and demonstrations, photography, research, and more. If a documentation of hours or certificate is needed for the child’s school or other program is needed, we can provide that. The child’s parent or guardian will need to sign a waiver prior to volunteering with us. Contact us for more information about our volunteer opportunities.
I have a dog that I think would be great as a Service Dog. Can I donate him/her to your program?
We appreciate your willingness to give AVBF such a big gift. In order to be accepted into our training program, all dogs must be evaluated for their potential to serve as a Service Dog. Our trainers will need to conduct an in-person assessment at two locations. If you are interested in arranging an assessment, please contact us.
I can’t afford to donate right now. How else can I help?
- Support us while you shop (at no extra cost to you!) – Kroger Community Rewards program donates a portion of Kroger’s profit to A Veteran’s Best Friend when you use your Kroger card, without taking away from your saving or “points,” every time you shop. This requires a one-time setup process, that is described here. Amazon Smile has a similar program.
- Train a dog – we are always looking for more volunteer trainers. This is a 12-18 month commitment per dog. AVBF will provide the volunteer with training and assistance. Most trainers will also house the dog that they are training until the dog is ready to live with their Veteran. For more information on becoming a trainer, please contact us.
- Foster a dog – Some of our dogs need help acclimating to living in a home
environment or need time to mature before they are trained as Service Dogs. Fosters
provide a warm, loving environment for our dogs, and do not need to train the dogs. If
you are interested in fostering a dog, please complete the Foster Application.
- Volunteer – Our volunteers are essential to our organization! They train dogs, bake treats, take photographs, help at events, provide facility maintenance, and so much more! We are always looking for new volunteers to help our organization grow. If you are interested in volunteering, please complete the Volunteer Application here.
- Follow us on social media – we are active on Facebook (@AVeteransBestFriend) and Instagram (@AVeteransBestFriendAR). Follow us to see what’s new and repost to tell your friends.